Who are you and how did you get here?

Organisation, Discussion, Conversation

Who are you and how did you get here?

Postby Five » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello new members and veterans!

We would love to know more about you, so if you feel like it please tell us about yourself! :)
You can also post a photo or drawing of yourself! And a link to your own website/gallery/tumblr/DeviantArt.

Things you could answer are questions like:

- What's your name and where are you from?
- How did you find Hollow City?
- What are your hobbies/interestes?
- What are your favourite comics? Your greatest inspirations?
- What are your tools of the trade? (For example, do you work with Photoshop, SAI, pencils, ink pens?)
- What are your plans for life, where do you study or what's your profession?
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Re: Who are you and how did you get here?

Postby Five » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I'll make a start!

My real name's Barbara (my friends call me Babs), I'm from Southern Germany, currently studying Communication Design in Augsburg.

That's me on my first day of uni, October 2012:

My website is http://antihelios.de
I also have a tumblr: http://antihelios.tumblr.com/
And a not so used DA: http://antihelios.deviantart.com/

When I was a teenager I wanted to become a comic artist. After I didn't get accepted at university for communication design back then I instead became a translator and started working boring office jobs. On the side my passion shifted to photography which I focused on for many years. Around 2008 I became a bit weary of photography, partly because I got burned out and partly because it didn't amount to anything. At the same time I stumbled over War for Arcadia through Einheit and instantly became excited about the concept of comic battles and the world of Arcadia.

I usually draw my comics with a pencil and do the colors in Photoshop. I used to ink them before scanning, but since my pencils are relatively clean and the difference was not huge I stopped inking to save time.

I'm currently studying and hope to earn my living with illustrations later on.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Einheit12 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 pm

So Panda asked me once if I liked Rammstein

and now I'm sort of here

what
Einheit12
Jury Member

Character: Rosenthal & Abendstern

Postby deathstroke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 pm

:aghast: i dont remember how i got here! i think it was deviantart.

when i joined i was just a middle schooler! i had just gotten out of my weeaboo phase.

i'm a 19 (my birthday was a few days ago! :smirk: ) years old girl, majoring in civil technics, second semester (as of now), and i like drawing and music! i live in indonesia. i'm not comfortable with sharing my real name on the internet, and i prefer to be referred to by my nicknames (DS!! or PD, or rose)

i've always focused on drawing concepts and stories, and comics are just that! i currently have almost 300 original characters. i like everything quality, but medieval, cyberpunk sci-fi and urban warfare has a special place in my heart (armored knights, guns and cyborgs! :hyper: )

as for music, the only things ive composed are one minute midi piano. my favorite genre is techno and metal - i play the electric guitar, and are saving up for an electric bass.

my internet presence currently is just tumblr (daily!): http://princessdemoness.tumblr.com and twitter (rarely!): @rosettachanter
deathstroke

Character: 238

Postby elyan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm

i´m nils

ben lured me here though he didnt knew lol.

i was more of a lurker at entervoid und when i saw his crossover picture(cover for an not existing game) i got curious (cause wfa designs were somehow more interesting).

though i dont have much time left for art stuff anymore sometimes i´ll make a post to show i´m alive (like this one)
elyan

Postby Falcon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi everybody. My name is David, I'm from Southern Italy, and I'm attending my last high school year. I'm a good reader, and I have a very creative mind, also I love write, but I have a little problem: I have a lot of ideas but I'm lazy, so I don't develp all of them :( Also I'm not so good at drawing, and I apologize in advance if my drawings will be poor. However I like to imagine, project stories, develp plots and charaters. I should really be a writer . I'm a devian, but "strange". In sense that my deviantID is shared with me and other two people, and our tasks are divided. I take care to write short stories and throw down plots and subjects (I also win a contest with one of my story :-D ) and the other two, Vincent and Valentina put their drawings. Especially Vincent helps me a lot with the designs, and we planned to do a comic together, with me I create the plot and he who draws everything. I've discovered Hollow City exatly on DeviantART. So, what'else can I say? I'm very inspired. I am very inspired by science fiction in general, and very attracted to the cyberpunk genre. But also tpolitical fiction is very attractive. My favourite novels? 1984 and I, Robot. I would like to read Neuromancer, maybe some day I will. So, last but not least, my plans are to leave Italy and start to work for international organizations, as officer or a peace mediator.
Well, I think I said all. I hope that I will feel good here, but I think that all will go in the better way.
Falcon

Postby elyan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

welcome david!

would you like to link us to your shared DA gallery.

well being not very good at drawing yet is not a problem at all. everybody needs to begin somewhere to develope. just try participating and you ll do progress.

overall its interesting reading such a detailed description about a member. hope you´ll enjoy what is done here.
elyan

Postby Falcon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome niel

I'm just finished my charater portrait, and it's not bad. Of course, it is not a masterpiece but at least it's something.
Yes, I think this will be a good starting point for me.
However, here is my Deviant profile. It's half italian and half english. Plus italian than english, I hope that Google translate can do his work. Enjoy it :)

http://electriclimefloppy.deviantart.com/
Falcon

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 am

I AM SPIKE.

I FOUND ARCADIA THROUGH AIRLIGHT, BUT THEN HOLLOW CITY THROUGH WFA BECOMING IT YES.

I DRAW GALACTIC CATGIRLSAND MAKE MUSIC.

MY FAVOURITE COMICS ARE ORC STAIN, BATTLE ANGEL ALITA, THAT ONE RUN OF VELOCITY THAT WAS 4 ISSUES AND HAD ROCAFORT DRAWING IT, AND A LOT OF OTHER THINGS TOO. MY GREAT INSPIRATIONS OUTSIDE OF COMICS ARE HIROYUKI IMAISHI, TAKESHI KOIKE, TORU NAKAYAMA and I am done with caps my cruise control has run out. But some english names anyway are Kenneth Rocafort, Joe Mad, James Stokoe. All people who's art I go YES. There are more, its on my tumblr somewhere and I am too lazy to get it.

I used to work mainly in SAI but now I have said SEEYAH LATER SAIBABY and moved onto the amazing tool that is Manga Studio 5. Forget what you think of MS from MS4, but MS5 is like SAI on crack.

My plans for life are to not die and make enough money to keep doing art all day every day forever. Right now I am unemployed. Also galactic catgirls 5EVER.

despite this being a colourful post I can assure you I am most definitely apt to falling into large bouts of depression and overall I am a bit of a buzzkill these days.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm

I lured Elyan here? :o I hope I get a recruitment toaster now!

My name is not a well kept secret, haha. And I live next to a sheep field in England! A little way out from my hometown of Swindon (which is every stand-up comedian's go to choice for an unglamorous town, haha). For the last couple of years I have been working as a code monkey, cobbling together phone apps and games. A tiny bit of artwork too, but primarily programming.

The Penny Arcade forums' Artists Corner had a long tradition of comic battles - I remember for a long time being a member of that forum and spectating the craziness from the participants. One of the most memorable of whom is now much more internet-famous for his MS Paint Adventures. I didn't consider attempting comics of my own, however, until I posted some random character sketches and somebody jokingly suggested that I submit one of a Ninja Viking Hitler into the next battle tournament. So I did... and I got knocked out in the first round, haha.
After that tournament, the forum administrators didn't want to make a new subforum for the next year's. Thus a new site branched off to host the festivities. I got a message from the ever enthusiastic Tin with a link to where the new tournament would be held - now an ongoing system with an overarching plotline. That was six years ago. Now I feel old! I fought in the first battle of the first round, and multiple server changes later I am still at it! :-D
I have met lots of awesome and talented people here. Some of whom I have met up with, on five meets covering five different countries. And made 40 or so comics thus far.

I like steampowered mechs, space battles, octopuses in hats, braindamaged clones, zombie apocalypses, and other such weirdness. And of course I enjoy painting and artwork, when not distracted by work/sleep/games/laziness. Which admittedly is often the case. My method of choice is very slow painting in photoshop - though for quite some time I only used the very basic opencanvas 1.1, and I guess I still use the techniques from that. I do love to work with fellow artists on comics and build worlds, which is what this site is great for. I don't actually read too many comics, except some online ones. But I always enjoy detailed art, imaginative designs, and general visual spectacularness, wherever it may be found.

My site: http://ben.antihelios.de/
Imaginitively titled tumblr: http://cyborgnecromancer.tumblr.com/
Similarly imaginitive deviantart, which I have neglected for over a year :aghast: : http://cyborgnecromancer.deviantart.com/
Ben

Character: The Cyborg Necromancer & Utopia

Next

Return to Parliament