General Forum Future Discussion

Organisation, Discussion, Conversation

Re: The almighty plan

Postby Administrator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:46 am

I just received all the wiki files and the wiki database from Toji. I cannot confirm it yet, but it seems to be complete and in order, meaning we have a very good chance at completely reconstructing the wiki on the new server.

However, there is little hope for the forum. The database file for the forum is too massive for the backup to handle. We'll have to see, but I'd say don't get your hopes up.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby elyan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:52 am

seriously those are good news :) i hope you can handle the new server good enough soon. btw are subscriptions able to be placed somewhere. its not exactly fair for you to bare all the costs.
elyan

Postby Five » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

That's great news about the wiki but I would be sad to lose all of the old forum, there's so much in there and the wiki would need major reconstruction if the old forum is gone.

I've seen larger forums being backed up so this must be possible somehow. Then again, I think Toji said it's because of the server limitations?

Does anyone have any idea how to back up the forum in any other way?

Ein: can we maybe reconstruct the tables from the forum backup you received form Naeru? I also asked Toji this: there must be a backup from when they moved from the phpBB2 to phpBB3. If we could use this we would not lose all of our history and maybe we can back up the rest manually.

Also, everyone, if you have saved old rounds please let us know so we can build a battle archive on the new server.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Jin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:30 am

*scrambles to this site* Hokay! Wow...after reading what might end up happening to the storyline of WFA, it is a little sad because I'm still getting used to the actual storyline and all that stuff. Personally it would be nice if we could have like maybe several full, all out battles before jumping the gun into 3 years later. Unfortantely I have my hands a bit full at the moment with school and owed artworks. This temporary site isn't so bad and we'll probably get used to it. I mean, if the majority of the members want to go for the 3 years ahead deal, by all means be my guest. I'll just go with the flow. I'm not much of a website name idealist here so can't really help with that. xD
"Care for a cup of tea?"
Jin

Postby Spike » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 am

Since I threw up a dump of a post in the name topic explaining my 100% honest thoughts on some things regarding names, I am going to do the same here.

I like this half-compromise between new and old, if only for the grittier sci-fi setting and the option to simply ignore a bunch of past events. But here is the thought I hold the most : Let's just do something new already

WFA has been around for 5 years and has built up a lot of canon and designs and cool little things over time. There has been a lot of story, I'd say there are probably thousands of well drawn pages of story and other amazing content that it does seem at first like a waste to throw it away and start something new. I'd not be opposed to archiving it, although the WFA book does a great job of that I'm sure!

Now I know, we've got Ben and Tin, who I am quite sure don't want to throw WFA as it is away and start fresh with a completely new idea because you've been here so long. Which is totally understandable. I know that as a newer member I want to feel like I'm at the start of something great too. Besides, by the time new members have joined this entire universe is so well established it's alienating for some of us too. The WFA story and lore has been around for so long and each round feels so disconnected as it is anyway. Yeah there are little references here and there, but that is not good storytelling nor is it really developing the canon substantially. How many events on the site are truthfully still being carried over from round to round as if they were important?. Chapter changes notwithstanding, but even then where was all the development from the previous king of Levidia's death? I think Airlight went the furthest with that and then that was that. Levidia just turned into Feuersturm 2.0 in a sense to play the part of 'invaders lawl' and left it that. That's just one example. I am not talking personal character history since we can all change that at the tip of the hat, I mean a straight-up story advancement.

There is no meaningful connection from comic to comic so why does it all matter? I must be failing to see some overall grand storyline? What I do see is a story that is kind of tired, old, and incredibly disjointed by this point and needs to be retired for something entirely new. Something fantastic. Something that feels fresh and that we can make something new out of and when that grows to be too big we can end it off on a high note and move onto the next cool idea. Something with energy and a new breath of life to it. Something excitable, new, epic, cool, wicked, radical, and maybe a bit more cohesive.

It's like trying to start in at Super Butt Munch Issue #409, and having to backpedal to issue #1 in order to enjoy it and that by issue #409 you start to realize you're simply doing the same story over and over again.

I'll re-iterate, this sort of half-new half old type idea that was outlined with the future skip is still okay, I still like it. I've still been thinking of ways to jump back in with that too. But I have said since day 1 of all this that maybe this is just a time for a nice big new change.

Edit: I just re-read this and thought I'd clarify, when I said 'not good storytelling' I don't mean the individual rounds nor am I slating the individual comics themselves. Each round is filled with some cool stuff, what I meant by that line was when it concerned the overall story arc as a whole and not each comic by itself.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby Jin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 pm

I do have a question actually! After the current round is over, will we be still opened up for further battling or put a hold on them until we've come up with what to do for the future of WFA?
"Care for a cup of tea?"
Jin

Postby Administrator » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I was hoping we'd have settled on a name by then.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Jin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 am

Administrator wrote:I was hoping we'd have settled on a name by then.

Well from the looks of it so far, it seems that a lot of people really liked the "Tales of Arcadia" name.
"Care for a cup of tea?"
Jin

Postby Five » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 am

It's 8 for Tales of Arcadia, 6 for Last Barricade and 6 for Phalanx Alpha. Not a huge lead anymore.

I kind of like the "Streets of Arcadia" but I wonder if it would be best to just take some random cool-sounding name.

We can't continue building the new site and setting up software without an url. So if you guys like we could try a round of Heaven Royale after this one here.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Green » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Sounds good to me.
Green

PreviousNext

Return to Parliament