General Forum Future Discussion

Organisation, Discussion, Conversation

General Forum Future Discussion

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:32 am

So I guess now that we're basically in phase 1 of "lets move off the other webspace" what exactly is the plan going to be from here?

I realize that me asking this is probably jumping the gun a little but I figure since we're already at this point and things are set up here that we should at least consider the future more seriously now.

Are we keeping things leftover from WFA (aka: continuing from what was build there), are we doing things loosely based off it (so basically taking the Heaven Idea and going from there) or are we gonna go 100% new universe new everything.

Are we going to move to a new webspace again after this 'temporary solution' or are we to set up here as the home base forever? Name of the site etc etc.

Sorry if these are kinda stupid questions that might have already been answered, but I am curious and kind of want to get the ball rolling on just where we go from here. Also if there is anything I can do to help I can try my hardest to help out. Not that I am knowledgeable with web stuff or anything haha
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Re: The almighty plan

Postby Five » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am

What Ein and I would like to do is basically the following, please correct me if I'm wrong Ein.

Setting
We will stay in the WFA universe but fast forward about 3 years. This way people can still continue with what we have built but they can also ignore everything that came before. Newcomers are not required to know about the past. Everyone is free to interpert things how they like and tell their own stories.

As we are less people we will have to shrink the map. We were thinking about reducing it to Arcadia City plus a few outskirts.

This new Arcadia City is a bit darker, think Chapter 1 and if you like Blade Runner.
There are no more factions in the game mechanics, people will receive points and maybe achievements. However, if you would like to join a side/faction/gang in the game world, you are free to do so.
What we were thinking was that there is the "big brother" computer PHALANX, located probably in or under the Tower. With its omnipresent surveillance cameras it knows everything. Leaders of the city receive their orders from this computer. The law is strict and players who would like to join the "evil" side could play a bureaucrat, a police officer, a lawer, a politician, a bodyguard, mercenaries, scientists working for the state or large companies such as CGN. From their perspective they are upholding order and protect the innocent.
Then there is the neutral middle with normal citizens or foreigners who just live their daily life. Maybe they are oblivious of the conflict. This can be anything! Examples: bus driver, school kid, normal employee, freelancer, clone who left the army, mutant trying to live under cover.
And finally we have the outlaws who will call themselves the "good" side. People who rebel against the oppressive government or just don't like to adhere to the laws. These can be rebels, drug dealers, graffiti artists, criminals, freedom fighters, vegan hippies, members of a street gang, homeless people, terrorists and so on.
It's up to the palyers if they would like to join a pseudo-faction or make up their own or just ignore anything like that. We would like to go back to the feeling of Chapter 1, where we had two opposing sides of good and evil, but both with a twist.

In short:
The war is over, and Arcadia City has turned into a dystopian cyberpunk-ish city (but vaguely defined).
The base conflict is the government versus resistance.
The Government representing order and security, but also a destruction of privacy.
And the Resistance representing freedom and liberty, but also maybe anarchy and terrorism.
It will be a free-for-all battle system and you can use this base conflict as inspiration for stories or just ignore it.

This is just a basic idea we are still working on refining. If anyone has input, ideas, objections, support, please post here and let everyone know what you think!

Game Mechanics
So yes, no factions, but points and maybe achievements. A smaller map focusing on Arcadia City.
Also, shorter rounds of two weeks (one week for each player). This way a new round can start every week or every two weeks, depending on demand, and planning is a lot more easy.

Website and name
Einheit has bought a vserver but he can't really work with it well before we get a domain name for it and he has to read a lot of manuals. Right now this little temporary forum is on his own webspace. Once he gets the vserver running we can move there. So if you have a good idea for a new site name, let us know! We get one .de domain for free but we can purchase a .com or .org domain additionally. Although Celestial has told us he will redirect the url "warforarcadia.com" to the new place we think it would be good to find a name that is more suitable to the new setting.

Moreover, the forum backup that Naeru has made for us is missing some tables and we have to hope that she will try and make a second backup for us in a different way. We also hope she can get us a backup of the wiki.
We would like to move both those things to the new server and keep them there as archives.
We would like to start fresh in a new forum when we switch over to the new game mechanics.

Ein also had an idea for a danbooru archive which we could set up on the vserver (not possible on a normal webspace if we use the software he would like to try). Our own paintchat is also an option.

Regarding Heaven Royale: I loved the idea but sadly had no time to try it out yet. Ein said that having both Arcadia City and the island of Heaven Royale is too much for our small community.
Last edited by Five on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 am

All of that sounds badass to me. I've got no objections.
(especially the 'darker' blade runner-esque bit!!)

I'll try and think of some names in the meantime. But this all sounds like a logical and much needed evolution to the old formula while keeping the core of how WFA operated!
Spike

Postby Five » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 am

Oh wow, you are still up! (Or already?)
I've edited the text a few times while you were probably already reading it, haha.

The sad thing is that most word plays ending with .de are already taken (like explo.de). So we would probably need a two-word combination (like thebarrica.de or protecting-with-pri.de but that's a bit long). Or anything cool that ignores the .de ending.
Five
Jury Member

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah I am still up. Kinda on and off, been sick the last few days (and yes I get sick a lot). Been up to use the bathroom every so often, so right now I just decided to stay up until I'm ready to fall asleep again. Don't have to work today so it doesn't matter much to me. Been kind of on a screwed up sleeping pattern lately because of it.

So with the name are we looking for something that incorporates the Arcadia name or it can be absolutely anything?
Spike

Postby Five » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 am

It can be anything that's cool, and if possible it would be great if it would be related to the game or world in any way. Just post any ideas you have.
For example, we think that last-barrica.de or thebarrica.de sounds cool, but it's not really related to the game at all so we might not use it. We just have to find something that "fits". Sadly, phalanx.de/com/net/org is taken. Arcadia-comics.com is also taken.

Also, I hope you will feel better soon! I thought I'd catch a cold the last days but I think I'm getting better again without getting sick.
Five
Jury Member

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks, I hope I do too haha.

Also I just whipped up some names right now at 4am so they might suckkk. Some of them are just site names without thought to the url.

BloodyHeaven
Insi.de
RebelArcadia
ArcadiaRising
Discor.de (its a stretch but shh)
Rebellion
TheSchism

But here are my best ones:

Arcadia2thesequel
CyborgNecromancertheSite
ArcadiaEpisode2TheCloneWars
JarJarJohnson (or alternatively JohnJohnBinks)
Spike

Postby elyan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 pm

i´m totally fine with what you are planning.
have you plans to change the battle system to something different than the forum base?
it might be usefull to get an similar upload system like entervoid. we would need something different since we work with rounds but the comics based and spread over a forum topic has always been an issue i have seen.

but well i might have an idea for that:
to make it easier to look up previous battles it might be worth it to make beside the introduction post a 2nd post wich will be updated with the complete battle so you don´t need to click through the pages to get the whole story. or/and include that in the closing post of a battle.

well for a site name i think its important to refer the essence of the site which is about a city in conflict with its inhabitant... i think its hard to think of good names ... also all my ideas sound like fantasy based worlds which we cleary aren´t.

arcadiantales
talesofarcadia

arcadiaconflict
conflicte.de
conflic.de (lame)

arcadia-resistance

arcadia-GvsR (government vs resistance)

GvsR

uhmwellllllll i like some of them. what do you think?
elyan

Postby Spike » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 am

Lets not go with GVSR. I think of Game Video System Rectangle (GVSR) from VOID, which means that everytime I visit the new site I'll only be able to think of that hahaha.

I also echo having an upload system that is site based, but if thats hard to set up forum based is cool by me too. I just find it easier to read on a site rather than a forum. Also if a battle has 3000 pages it won't take as long to load for some people.
Spike

Postby Five » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I really like your last two site name ideas, Spike!

Maybe we should just go with warforarcadia.de for now until we have moved everything and can redirect warforarcadia.com to the new site? However, some believe that we should use this opportunity to find a fresher name.

The other ideas we had so far:

protecting-with-pri.de
arcp.protecting-with-pri.de
last-barrica.de
thebarrica.de
die-phalanx.de / thephalanx.de
biophalanx.de
phalanxnet.de
alphaphalanx.de
comic-battles.de / comic-battle.de
comic-battles.com
hollow-city.com
thesprawl.de
cloneproject.de
artofarcadia.de

Some more form Tin just now:

ArcadianAlliance.de
ArcadianBriga.de

Also, for your info, I have sent a few mails to Naeru last week but got no reply so far, so I sent a message to Toji today who owns the webspace the old forum is on. Maybe he can help us if Naeru is too busy.
Five
Jury Member

Next

Return to Parliament