New Forum Name!

Old and outdated threads are stored here.

What shall be the name of the new forum?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 pm

war for arcadia
3%
phalanx alpha
21%
last barricade
14%
tales of arcadia
7%
hollow city
31%
proton winter
7%
cheerful oyster
17%

Total votes : 29

Re: New Forum Name!

Postby Horokeh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:56 am

A far fetched connection would mean that not a lot of people make the connection... I made it instantly lol. Last i saw the forums you were still settling on "________ of Arcadia" or stuff. So that's why i bring it up now, since the announcement on facebook. While in this case i can see the definition of Nation that you mentioned, i could agree with completely in terms of nationality and such.

The way i see it, "A nation may refer to a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, and/or history. In this definition, a nation has no physical borders" good old wikimahpedia.

With the word hollow attached behind it, its context gives a Blank Canvas sort of feel to the characters, story, to the revamp and most importantly how it relates to the map. I just don't see a city having a desert, mountains, ocean, lake, islands, forest, ghost town, etc. A lot of the other stuff sure, but somethings would constitute a territory or at the very least a province. Void 2.0 connection or not, the map is showing that its more than just a city. The added bonus of it all is that going with nation does steer clear from the Void connection, even if void is going by the ways of waffles (dead horse).

One thing i'd like to add tho "I think some people here are thinking about Void a lot more than they are thinking about us. We are different, let's move on." doesn't add much to the discussion either. :D
Horokeh

Postby Einheit12 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 am

"Focus" on a city setting does not mean "Exclusive" City setting. The non-city locations were actually added to allow for a bit more variation, however, the Stories should still revolve around Arcadia City, not the Nation.
Einheit12
Jury Member

Character: Rosenthal & Abendstern

Postby Horokeh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:23 am

You're still putting nation in an exclusive Territory context and that's half my fault for using the not just a city argument. To me and my opinion it could go much like:

Arcadia City, dwelling of the hollow nation, the group of order seekers and anarchist that live in the city of Arcadia. Remnants of the wars of yore and the name of the new people joining in the fray. Etc, etc, evil magic computer follows the hollow, CN+Ken, i can't word the rest, but you get the general idea.

But my whole point is keep an open mind, maybe people will agree or disagree, its the way i see it. Some people might like it or they might just keep it hollow city, i just seriously don't like the NOTfarfetched NOTsociation

Sincerely,

NotHoro
Horokeh

Postby Runic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 am

I prefer Hollow City over Hollow Nation.
Hollow Nation sounds like a band name.

The name has been decided and I'd like it to stick.
<Ben> 20:29 --- pen is away (Auto away)
<Ben> hee hee hee
<Fivel> oh ben!
* Ben giggles like a school boy
Runic

Character: Cheyan

Postby Jed Leopard » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Runic wrote:I prefer Hollow City over Hollow Nation.
Hollow Nation sounds like a band name.

The name has been decided and I'd like it to stick.

this
Jed Leopard

Postby Spike » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 am

The new logo and the banners look fucking sick guys.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby elyan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Agreed. they are real eyecatchers. do you have some sort of emblem we could into wfa related art to upload somewhere like DA?
elyan

Postby Five » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:59 pm

The name and logo are on separate layers in the banner PSD file which is available for download in the banner thread. You can use it to promote the site. Colors are variable, we have been going with mostly orange because it fits our forum.

I will register www.hollow-city.com on Monday and we will see if we can create a favicon out of the logo.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Spike » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 am

Also I want to hop on this while I remember to :

The VOID comparison is stupid.

Because one of the words in the name shares a connection in meaning doesn't mean that it is exactly the same. The two sites are wildly different, they always were, and they always will continue to be. Why bother having this site at all if it was exactly the same as VOID? It's something different.

The battle structure is different. I think what is happening here is simply common misconception about VOID is that it has to be city based. VOID can be anything, it doesn't really have a set canon unless you want it to. The system here is a lot different when you break it down guys. The name, logo, and everything else about it clearly states to me that this is something else entirely too. While it is now separated in a way from War For Arcadia, it didn't just suddenly become VOID - and it never will.

I know the general opinion on VOID is less than stellar among some of you, and I'm not about to debate that with anyone because like...whatever. I know that I -personally- like VOID and so I spend a lot of time over there, not really battling these days, but I chill around in the community (as well as I'm on the Approval Committee there). I've been on the site for a while now and other than Airlight, Runic, and myself, nobody else has even remotely stepped foot in there to give it a whirl. So how do you even KNOW they are the same? So to make these allegations otherwise, that 'they are the same' , without that experience is bullshit really. If Runic and Airlight want to point that out, fine, I can't stop them from feeling that way if they do - but at least they've had the experience and can make that call and not have it be backed up with a reason of 'the name lolol' (which again, is the stupidest thing ever).

One thing i'd like to add tho "I think some people here are thinking about Void a lot more than they are thinking about us. We are different, let's move on." doesn't add much to the discussion either.

Neither does 'IT'S VOID BECAUSE THE NAME LOL!!!!!!'. If the only reason you think of VOID is because of the name, and not the battle system and all the other goddamn changes, then you aren't adding much either.

Also the name discussion at this point is frankly stupid. If people honestly really cared that much they'd have been on here from the start, and when Hollow City first cropped up as a name choice, and said something. I think the unanimous feedback when it came up was 'its really cool'. That kinda stuck around for a while. It wasn't as if the poll was up and then 'oh we're gonna go with hollow city now right away'.
-----

anyway thanks for the PSD Five! I don't think I'll be submitting a banner any time soon but its good to know that there is one there.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby penryn88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 pm

I know I'm not like super popular on ether site, but I've been drawing on both Void and WFA since 2009. I've been a member since even before that, so I have a pretty good idea of how both sites are. And I'll tell you this, whenever entervoid does something they don't worry if WFA did it first, they don't care if it's similar to WFA. Time after time I've seen good ideas and suggestions shot down because it would make us like Void, which if you ask me is not a valid reason on which to make decisions. We should be more open minded and give up on this whole, void vs WFA thing. And also stop fanning those fires by creating drama where there isn't and by blowing harmless comments of proportion. WFA has always been a laid back place and that's what I love about it. As long as it stays that way I'm happy.
penryn88

Previous

Return to Archives