New Forum Name!

Old and outdated threads are stored here.

What shall be the name of the new forum?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 pm

war for arcadia
3%
phalanx alpha
21%
last barricade
14%
tales of arcadia
7%
hollow city
31%
proton winter
7%
cheerful oyster
17%

Total votes : 29

New Forum Name!

Postby Administrator » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi guys. As requested in the IRC, here is a poll for the new name. If you have sensible nominees, please post them here and I will add them to the poll. You will be able to change your vote, so check back every once in a while when I add your suggestions and see if you changed your mind. Also, everytime I add new options, previous votes will be reset!
You all have 2 votes.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: New Forum Name (VOTE HERE)

Postby Green » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I found "Tales of Arcadia" to be worthy of the list.
Green

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Discor.de
Rebellion
TheSchism

Are all my suggestions out of the list I made before. I voted Comic Battles in any case. Couldn't decide on a number 2. I think with the direction we're gonna go in the name should be all encompassing, or be gritty/badass.

Edit: That said I just decided to vote Last Barricade as my vote no.2 for the time being just because it kind of reflects that gritty/badass vibe the closest on that list.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby Runic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 am

In regards to Tales of Arcadia. I voted for it because I feel it represents what we are and where we came from.
I agree that the name "War for Arcadia" should be retired since we've been talking about starting a new chapter that really is a departure from a war scenario.

So. Tales of Arcadia is more fitting for character, story, and world building through collaborations. Which is what essentially what WfA was. No matter who won or lost their battle.. the stories stuck and developed into lore. (Retcon here and there...)

But that's just my opinion on the matter. ToA!
Last edited by Runic on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Ben> 20:29 --- pen is away (Auto away)
<Ben> hee hee hee
<Fivel> oh ben!
* Ben giggles like a school boy
Runic

Character: Cheyan

Postby Patent Pending » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 pm

I very much wanted to vote for o.gertru.de
Patent Pending

Character: Circe Devereaux

Postby Spike » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Edit: EXPANSION TIME (no not expansion pack to that game).

I feel Tales of Arcadia is too fantasy like. I realize that it is the popular opinion on this poll but as it stands, not that the name is terrible, I just do not think that the name fits the whole setting/theme that War for Arcadia had encompassed and was built up on - which is this futuristic/cyberpunk kind of setting. Tales of makes me think of the Tales of games (as the picture above that I threw together in like 2 minutes shows) and so on. I don't think it fits the new direction proposed in the topic of a more Blade Runner-esque type cyberpunk future city filled with political unrest etc.

I also didn't vote for Phalanx Alpha on the grounds that it makes me think of Lilith Alpha. Not that that can really be helped much, but its a comparison my mind keeps drawing so I can't un-see it. Not that Lil isn't awesome of course!

Art of Arcadia was touched upon as being very much like the art book etc. So I didn't vote that. Oh Gertrude is funny but obviously the joke option.

Comic Battles is super generic but like I said before it at least fits in the sense that we're doing comic battles. Last Barricade I also voted for because it is kind of along the lines I am thinking of in terms of the direction outlined in proposal for what the site's future direction is going to be.

I think we should also drop the name 'Arcadia' unless we can either use it by itself with no words before or after it, as I feel it is incredibly limiting to the names that we're coming up with. Unless you all want to keep the title War For Arcadia, which still doesn't really fit much now either but at least its still that connection that some people are looking for. I just think that its hard to put some words together that don't sound lame. Also I am kind of leaning towards names that are not a phrase or multiple words. It makes for a cool acronym but I think that single words just seem slicker and you have a lot more room to play around with them. Which is why if it was available I'd simply just call it "Arcadia" because that to me fits. It's simple, it's the name of the location, and it can in reality fit with any sort of timeline given.

I realize that I'm in the minority with a lot of things involving the future of the site, but I was told to explain my thoughts on the names in more detail anyway :).
Last edited by Spike on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby Administrator » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Regarding "Tales of Arcadia":

I am not in favour of this name. It sounds far to close to the "Tales of" series of Japanese RPGs and Anime. It also sounds enormously Fantasy in my opinion, not ideal for a world in which Clone Armies and Cyborgs are core elements.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Five » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Thank you for elaborating your opinion here, Spike!
I know that some discussed the name and setting in the chatroom recently and that is perfectly fine, it would just be very helpful to post a summary or your opinion or even a chatlog on the forum so people can discuss it. So thank you for doing that!

I don't mind Tales of Arcadia that much but it is not on my list of what I voted for. I agree that it sounds very fantasy. Our setting will allow for fantasy stories and elements too, if people choose to go that route, but the main focus is on a gritty urban setting. However, I am also afraid that Phalanx Alpha is too sci-fi and will scare off people who are not into that. I, too, would prefer a neutral name because the new Arcadia is meant to let everyone do what they like.
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby AnTinwoodsman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

A measure of generality is necessary to leave the future open to different core driving concepts, so we should avoid specific tropes in favor of a premise more malleable.

Record of...
Streets of...
City of ..
Battle for...

I felt Tales was a bit too fantasy as well but it is the best fit and whatever brings us more hits in general search or SEO methods can't be a bad thing. We feed on gamer culture- why not exploit that or use it to fill our playerbase? War just has the right idea behind it- Battle for would work just as well, its a smaller scale which is nice.
AnTinwoodsman

Postby Luthor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

I do kind of like, "Battle for Arcadia".
Luthor

Character: Bullet Face, Lily

Next

Return to Archives