New Rules and Setting Concept

Old and outdated threads are stored here.

New Rules and Setting Concept

Postby Einheit12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Rules:
    1. There are no teams.
    2. Each Battle consists of two cycles, each 7 days long.
    3. The players can agree who goes first. If they cannot agree, it will be chosen by random.
    4. Do not kill or severely change another player's character without their consent.

Point-System Rules
    1. Any player with a new character begins with 0 (Zero) Points.
    2. Any player with a pre-existing character begins with 10 (Ten) Points.
    3. Each intro comic page is worth 10 (Ten) Points.
    4. At least 10 (Ten) Points are required for participating.
    5. A complete cycle is rewarded with 70 (Seventy) Points.
    6. For each day a cycle is submitted late, 10 (Ten) Points are deducted from the player score.
    7. If you do not submit your cycle 7 (Seven) days after your deadline, another 30 (Thirty) Points will be deducted from your player score.
    8. Winning a battle is rewarded with another 30 (Thirty) Points.
    9. Not featuring your opponent's character will cost you 20 (Twenty) Points.
    10. You can gain addition Points by fulfilling achievements. These are secret and the rewarded Points vary.
    11. The lowest possible score is 0 (Zero) Points.

Setting:
Arcadia City, also dubbed the "Hollow City", is a dystopian, cyberpunk-ish city with some shiny facades and many dark back alleys. In its center stands the Tower, the emblem of the Capital, and around it the seat of government.
Protecting peace and security is what Phalanx does, the "big brother" super computer, whose physical location is unknown. Its all-seeing surveillance apparatus is omnipresent. Its orders are carried out by politicians and police force. With order and security, however, also comes the destruction of privacy.
But not everyone is willing to make this sacrifice. What some call the "Resistance" is an unorganized bunch of gangs and individuals who fight for freedom and liberty, with some of them drifting into anarchy and terrorism.
Where does your character stand?

Notes:
You can play anything you want, which means you can take a side in this conflict or ignore it in your stories altogether, it is up to you!
Examples for sides in this conflict:
Government side: bureaucrat, police officer, lawyer, politician, bodyguard, mercenary, scientist working for the state or a large company such as CGN. They are upholding order and protect the innocent but might abuse their power.
Neutral citizen: bus driver, school kid, normal employee, freelancer, clone who left the army, mutant trying to live under cover, war veteran. Normal citizens or foreigners who just live their daily life.
Resistance: rebel, drug dealer, graffiti artist, criminal, freedom fighter, vegan hippy, members of a street gang, homeless person, terrorist. People who rebel against the oppressive government or just don't like to adhere to the laws.

Note to players who participated in War for Arcadia:
Hollow City takes places in the same world as the "War for Arcadia" and takes place 3 years after Round 32 of Chapter 3. A previous knowledge of WFA is not required, however! You can depict the city and setting in any way you please.

Character Submission Thread: http://www.hollow-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20

Suggestions and Discussions are welcome.
Einheit12
Jury Member

Character: Rosenthal & Abendstern

Re: New Rules and Setting Concept

Postby Einheit12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Example Characters in D&D Alignment Chart

Einheit12
Jury Member

Postby Five » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:26 pm

I would like to add that we have a decimal point system so it looks more impressive. If you guys prefer an easier system we can use 1 instead of 10 points. But I assume you all want to reach 9000!
Five
Jury Member

Character: Kensington, Nevada

Postby Spike » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

I want to get OVER 9000!

But it sounds good to me.
Spike

Character: Jack Kills

Postby Jin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Awesome. : D Can't wait for everything to begin! <3
"Care for a cup of tea?"
Jin

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Ben

Character: The Cyborg Necromancer & Utopia

Postby shadowkaisen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:16 am

I dunno if this is exactly the board to discuss this but this is pertaining to rules and whatnot. *AHEM* In regards to when battles start, and i guess this round too, is it going to be based on a set schedule, or will we be able to set up rounds ourselves? What i would mean is, if two people see they have the open schedule and want to get a round going, can they go ahead and do that? Also a quick suggestion to maybe allow people the option to continue a story or round if both combatants agree to continue. I mean if the story is only starting to get good, i think people should have the option to keep going if they want. But if this were to be added i would totally make it required that both sides would be in agreement, and not let just one person do a cycle and be done with it.

I guess i forgot to say salutations to everyone! I am seriously liking these ideas and hope to see some awesome stuff happen.
shadowkaisen

Postby Einheit12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 pm

shadowkaisen wrote:I dunno if this is exactly the board to discuss this but this is pertaining to rules and whatnot. *AHEM* In regards to when battles start, and i guess this round too, is it going to be based on a set schedule, or will we be able to set up rounds ourselves? What i would mean is, if two people see they have the open schedule and want to get a round going, can they go ahead and do that? Also a quick suggestion to maybe allow people the option to continue a story or round if both combatants agree to continue. I mean if the story is only starting to get good, i think people should have the option to keep going if they want. But if this were to be added i would totally make it required that both sides would be in agreement, and not let just one person do a cycle and be done with it.

I guess i forgot to say salutations to everyone! I am seriously liking these ideas and hope to see some awesome stuff happen.

There are basically no "Rounds", instead, Battles can theoretically start on any Monday. However, when possible, we'd like to synchronise the battle rhythm when possible.

When two players have submitted their characters and both have more than 0 Points, they can agree to start a fight on the next Monday. After they have made a post in the Sign-Up Thread, a Moderator will set up a Fight Thread. At any point, if both parties agree, the fight can be turned into a 4-cycle battle (or even longer, if requested). When this happens, the first post of the Battle Thread will be updated.
Einheit12
Jury Member

Postby Jed Leopard » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm actually with ein on the synchronized shedules. It's a lot easier to keep track if one person is late and so forth.
Kaisen, i think continuing a fight is possible with every new battle. You can link previous pages in the new battle topic, without getting a topic with 2364 pages.

Talking about topic pages. Maybe its just me, but i always found the comic pages to be very unorganized sonce they were posted right in between all of the comics. Wouldnt it be better if all of the pages were posted in the main post, for both cycles. Gives it a mucb better read imo.

Just throwing my thoughts out!
Jed Leopard

Postby shadowkaisen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 pm

I kind of like the idea of starting on any Monday as long as two combatants are ready willing and able. I guess it would be good if someone posted dates of starts/ends to keep things honest. As for synchronized schedules I think possible events could be scheduled every so often (maybe one every couple of months). They could be posted in advance to give people a chance to get stuff together. And while i do think linking battle threads could work, I would think it would be just easier to have the pages to a continuing battle thread, maybe only linking to a new thread if characters or the setting changes. It would be a bit easier maybe to just navigate a few pages instead of trying to figure out which thread starts the whole shebang and where it ends. This goes double for missing/broken links. I will agree that all the comics should be posted together to the main post or a single post. To keep the dynamics and drama going. (which makes keeping all the continuing battles to a single thread an ideal solution, so you could get one long continuous comic instead of having to jump around.)
I dunno it's just some ideas. I do enjoy all this discussion of how this can all come together.
shadowkaisen

Next

Return to Archives